Get Ready to ShakeOut!
You are invited to join millions of people worldwide who will “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” on 10-20-16 at 10:20 a.m. in the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drill!
More than 43 million people worldwide were registered in ShakeOut drills last year. Participating is a great way for your family or organization to become better prepared to survive and recover quickly from big earthquakes.
Why is “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” important to practice? You may only have seconds to protect yourself in an earthquake before strong shaking knocks you down, or something falls on you. Practicing helps you be prepared to react. Visit ShakeOut.org/dropcoverholdon to learn more.
It is recommended that you, your school or organization, and your community review and update emergency plans and survival supplies. Learn how to secure your space in order to prevent damage and injuries. Everyone can participate!
As a registered ShakeOut Participant you will:
- Learn what you can do to get prepared
- Receive ShakeOut news and other earthquake information
- Be counted in the largest earthquake drill ever!
- Set an example that motivates others to participate
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Here are a few simple things you can do to Get Ready to ShakeOut!
Plan Your Drill:
- Register at ShakeOut.org/register to be counted as participating, get email updates, and more.
- Download a Drill Broadcast recording from ShakeOut.org/drill/broadcast.
- Hold a “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” drill at 10:20 a.m. on October 20 (or you can choose a different date when you register). You can also practice other aspects of your emergency plan.
- Discuss what you learned and make improvements.
Get Prepared for Earthquakes:
- Do a “hazard hunt” for items that might fall during earthquakes and secure them.
- Create a personal disaster plan.
- Purchase, build or update your emergency kits.
- Identify and correct any issues in your building’s structure.
Share the ShakeOut:
- Invite friends and family members to register.
- Encourage your community, employer, or other groups you are involved with to participate.
- Posters, flyers, and other promotional materials at ShakeOut.org/resources.
- Share photos and stories of your drill at Shakeout.org/share.
Individuals, families, schools, government agencies, businesses and other organizations are all invited to register for the world’s largest earthquake drill. Why not sign up today and be counted? It’s free!