HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS
Safe Holiday Decorating
Are you decorating your home safely for the holidays?
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than 800 fires a year start with decorations, and another 200 begin with Christmas trees.
Be fire smart this year as you deck the halls for a festive holiday season with these NFPA holiday safety tips:
· Use caution when selecting your holiday decorations. Choose items that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
· Keep lit candles away from decorations and other objects that can burn.
· Use indoor and outdoor lights appropriately. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both. Be safe – read the label before purchasing!
· Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands that may safely be connected.
· Use clips, not nails, to hang lights, so the cords don’t get damaged.
· Keep decorations away from windows and doors.